Kingston General ICU – where it all began

Kingston General ICU - where it all began

Bryan and one of the nurses that cared for him while in ICU in the very room that was our home for 3 weeks in 2010.

It’s Marijo blogging tonight. 🙂

Today we had the privilege of speaking about our journey to a group of medical professionals at Kingston General Hospital. As we were wandering the hospital heading towards the auditorium, we ran into one of the intensive care nurses that had cared for Bryan when he was very ill. I remember her well as she comforted me many nights by Bryan’s bedside. Today she brought us into ICU for a visit and we got to visit the very room that Bryan spent 3 weeks in fighting for his life. Bryan doesn’t remember any of it as he was in a coma, but I remember it vividly. What an incredible journey we have been on since being in that room. Many of the nurses remembered Bryan and were visibly joyous to see him living and breathing right in front of their very eyes. The intensive care staff rarely get to see a patient once they leave the unit and we are always met with big smiles when we visit.

The speech went very well, except for the video sound not working properly, so we have posted the video below for anyone who was there so that they can review it with the proper audio. This is the second time we have spoken at KGH and it is always a highlight for us. It’s almost like coming home. We had decided that after this speech we were hanging up our speaking hats for a bit. We still will do the odd one (anyone know Oprah or Ellen?) – but our lives are moving on and with it, it’s time to put that chapter behind us.

6 thoughts on “Kingston General ICU – where it all began

1. Lynn Noonan February 1, 2013 at 2:29 pm Reply

Hi Guys. You are both still inspiring even though you are moving on. How is the skiing going? Have you been able to get out much with the “bi-polar” weather happening?

2. kns544 February 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm Reply

Hello!! It’s Karen Nicole Smith, the woman who introduced you yesterday at KGH. I am so happy to see you blog on WordPress too. You two were amazing yesterday. Moving, inspirational, funny . . . the works. Please check out my blog too. I am a year away from a kidney transplant and I have some things I want to accomplish in this next year.

I would also like permission to share your video and story in a blog post. Please let me know.

HUGS (for both of you)!!! Karen Nicole

• hab4evr February 2, 2013 at 1:59 pm Reply

Hello Karen Nicole firstly let me thank you for the intro it was most appreciated and of course the gift cards will be well used. We just started using Word Press (Mj is the techy) and I’m still transferring my blogs over to our new site. I haven’t read your blogs yet but quickly looked at your site and I look forward to reading your thoughts and learn more about your life. I’m not a great writer and only blog once inspired to do so….my worst writings are when I feel I must do it. Speaking not always so easy and I thought I could get more at ease with it as we went along. For us we feel we now need to turn the page and start a new exciting chapter. The disability is real and were not trying to denied it but we want to start living without it being the main focus. Please feel free to put anything you want of ours on your site. I would enjoy staying in touch…..Bryan & Marijo

3. kns544 February 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm Reply

Bryan and Marijo,

WordPress is amazing. You ARE a great writer. (I’ve been reading.) You’re just not accustom to reading your voice in print yet but it’s great. Same energy as when you speak; funny, poignant, wise. I find it interesting that you say “you must do it”. I feel that way too. Maybe you’ve got a book or series of books here? (That’s what I’m working toward.) Sharing your story would be so powerful in a book. You can retreat away from the speaking world but still ultimately share what you’re meant to share. And then get out and speak again but to selectively support the book. You two were AMAZING as speakers. Don’t deprive the world of that.

Thanks for permission to share your story on my blog. I will let you know when I do. It will probably be this Tuesday.

Yes, let’s stay in touch. 🙂

Best,
    Karen Nicole

4. Aveleigh Kyle April 5, 2013 at 1:28 am Reply

Just found his today. Thanks for the kind words!
    Aveleigh

5. that site April 16, 2013 at 8:37 pm Reply

Excellent way of explaining, and nice paragraph to
    take data about my presentation topic, which i am going to convey in school.